Your home’s electrical system is a crucial component, and it needs regular monitoring for efficiency and safety. Be on the lookout for the following potential hazards:
A loose wall outlet may seem like a minor annoyance, but it can quickly turn into a serious problem. Years of constantly using an outlet can wear it down, causing whatever you plug into it to slip out. When a plug isn’t secure, it causes the connection to arc in your wall. This then creates a spark that can either shock you or start a fire within your home. The good news is that old outlets can be repaired easily and inexpensively.
Missing or cracked outlet covers are more than just a cosmetic concern. Pets or young children could be injured from a powerful shock. An exposed outlet also means that the wiring and box behind are not protected, allowing the box to move around freely and sever the surrounding wires. Replacing a cover is another simple repair, and it’s also one to take care of quickly to prevent any safety issues.
A surge in your home can have several causes, like a lightning strike or even overloading an outlet. Older homes are especially susceptible to power surges if they have not been recently updated. While it’s possible to resolve a surging problem yourself, it’s best to get it looked at by a professional. An inspector will check your wiring and any connected devices and recommend a solution.
Flickering and dim lights can be a side effect of frequent power surges, but there are other causes to consider, like a loose bulb in a lamp or ceiling light. Check that all your lights are screwed in tightly and that they are the correct wattage for the fixture. If you are still experiencing a problem, it could be from frayed or corroded wires. This is another instance where it is best to call for backup as soon as possible.
Swap out older fixtures and bulbs for more energy-efficient ones to cut down your usage. While it might be expensive to redo your home’s wiring, it should be at the top of your list. Not only will you save money in the long run, but you’ll also help protect yourself and your home from an electrical emergency.